Monday, March 15, 2010

Public Service Announcement

Many of you may have already received the 2010 Census Questionnaire in the mail today. If not, you will likely get it some time this week.

The census helps to determine the number of representatives each state has in the U.S. Congress as well as the congressional districts themselves. The amount of money from the federal government to your local area also depends on the answers given. The money is used for many local services such as roads and services for children.

Many people disregard the census. They think "it doesn't help me" or "it's not important". Well, it is for a number of reasons as mentioned above.

When you receive your questionnaire, please take a few minutes to fill it out and mail it back.

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. You say this as though it matters how many representatives we have in Congress (they don't do anything), or how much money they spend on roads and kids (they spend money on roads and education?). Just imagine if our total number of representatives kept pace with the U.S. population - we'd be overrun with incompetence!

    When do you think GSN will have any gift cards available? I've been collecting Oodles for over 6 months, and have nothing good to spend them on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon....I can dream can't I? :-)

    Seriously though, there are areas that are under-represented and others that are over-represented due to population shifts over the last several years. I know in my area, we've increased in size considerably over the last 5-10 years. Also, there are some areas that have more representation than their size calls for.

    I know our elected officials are a bunch of do-nothings (especially here), but that's another part of the problem. Not enough people get out and vote each election. Sometimes you just have to hope for the best.

    As for the gift cards, I've given up on thinking they will ever really restock them. If they do, it's only with a few and they are gone within seconds. I may actually start doing the mystery book thing and see what I get. I love to read.

    Happy Oodling!

    ReplyDelete